Saturday, November 14, 2009

Facebook blocked in Vietnam since today

Update2: Since I received feedback from some people on this including Dan, it seems to be unclear whether it is indeed a hoax and some ISP server troubles or not a hoax and a real block.
------------
Update (old)
The issue which started back in August is a hoax! check it out! Interesting that even CNN fell for it and it's even not April yet!



The Vietnamnese government blocked the access of Facebook now. (According to MikeInVietnam - here.

This is truly a sad day since I knew people in Vietnam, now the chance to find them on Facebook will be zero :(
I was able to get back in touch with people that appeared to be appearing nowhere.

My friend Dan Offer (known for offering the pretty cool Facebook chat client named Chit Chat for Facebook) decided to open a dedicated Facebook Group - Unblock Facebook in Vietnam to get Vietnam to think twice!

According to CNN's iReport blog, those are the reasons:

"For security reasons and to fight against propagative activities that oppose the Party and the government, Department of Professional Technology – Office of Security Administration – Ministry of Public Security suggests that the addressed companies to apply technical methods to block thoroughly these following websites.”

This act of political censorship clearly manifest the government’s recognition of the threat posed by Facebook, specifically its power to communicate and publicize. Although Vietnamese internet users have already found back doors to access Facebook by changing DNS information from browser or using another proxy, nevertheless, the Vietnamese government still achieves its ultimate goal: to arrest the spread of "malicious" information."


This is a very big social threat for us Facebook users, for all Vietnamese and globalism!

Technorati Tags: ,
----
Wanna discuss this post? Then do it in my forum! :)
----

20 comments:

MikeInVietnam said...

I found out later it was a hoax via a Vietnamese friend. All worried about nothing :)

Nafcom said...

@Mike:

wanted to thank you for your feedback and update on the case on your blog. And thanks to you (you probably saw it already) I finally got Twitter the way I wanted integrated into my blog.

MikeInVietnam said...

Yeah, it was the weirdest thing. This morning, my buddy in Louisiana facebooked me with the link that I was mentioned. heh. I panicked for a bit there about the block on facebook, but all is well and as it should be. Just a vicious rumor! Take care!

Sue said...

Umm - I don't think it's a hoax - Facebook has definitely been blocked. I'm living in Hoi An - and no-one here can access Facebook. (Except through proxies.)

filipe vigario said...

IS NOT A HOAX IS VERY REAL AND IS HAPPEN RIGHT NOW.
SOME INTERNET PROVIDERS ALREADY STARTED BLOCKING.
IT WILL TAKE TIME FOR ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS TO BLOCK IT.
FOR NOW I BELIVE THEY ARE TRYING THE MOD OF THE PEOPLE AND SEE HOW THEY REACT TO THIS, AS USUAL.

filipe vigario said...

facebook lite still working
http://lite.facebook.com

Nafcom said...

Mike/Sue/ filipe

Thanks for the feedback, I have edited the post again. Since I don't know which of the two theories floating around are really (since I cannot proof either) I edited the post again and left its state unclear.

Anonymous said...

Hi

It is true, Facebook has been blocked.

This has been since mid last week and is also the same for my colleagues and friends who live in Hanoi.

filipe vigario said...

finally i got my why around the problem with DNS servers setup and now is working.
very simple solution.

giddy said...

omg why they start to block almost everything on the internet.
thats so sad... do they have no better things to do?

iyivanov said...

I live in Vietnam and I use Facebook only on rare occasions because I have no enough time for this, but for my wife it was very useful for keeping contacts with her (and our) friends. I say “was” because we can not use it anymore. Vietnam’s Internet service providers can say anything, but the truth is that access to Facebook is blocked as well as the access to many other sites.

MikeInVietnam said...

Hello, iyivanov. It's true that many people in Vietnam are having difficulty accessing certain websites. This may likely be an issue with IP addresses. However, there is hope! You can change your DNS (google it, and you can do it quite easily) or you can use proxy sites such as feo.com. Good luck to you!

MikeInVietnam said...

Sorry,a good proxy site is: www.feo-online.org

may said...

kindly please help me , to unblock facebook here in vinh phuc , all of my friends here cant used it , in this area , they block it already , we change the ip address , still nothing changes maybe , you can suggest what should we do

from

aviduser in pvinhphuc

Anonymous said...

we cant use the facebook here in VINH PHUC , province there many foreigners cant access in here, they change already the ip address , but still not working , help please

aviduserm9

MikeInVietnam said...

Ah, a new round of blocking. Here's what I've done. Google 'hot spot shield' and download the program. It's free. Run it and connect with it each time you want to access facebook or any blocked site. Apart from the ads popping up every now and again, it's wonderful!

Nafcom said...

@ MikeInVietnam: Thank you very much, Mike! :)

dancilhoney said...

There are some proxy the would help you if your facebook blocked. Thanks for that site I did fix my banned account.

Ann said...

Facebook is blocked in many countries of the world like Vietnam, China, UAE and many others. Personally I use VPN Account (http://vpn-account.com) to unblock sites like Facebook and others. This is secure and safe and works perfect.

Nafcom said...

@Ann: Thanks for the hint! :)